With a population of around 35 people the Mitta Mitta township developed as a mining town in the latter half of the 1800s with the discovery of gold. The township received a police station in 1859 and in 1870 the first post office was opened. Power was not connected in Mitta Mitta until 1964. The town currently supports a school and ambulance station along with a hotel, churches, general store with fuel and a post office, craft shop, sporting complex and a CFA brigade. There is also a golf course and caravan park in the town.