With a population of around 200 Eskdale developed during the mining era and was officially surveyed in 1887 by G H Lavery. The town was named by James Aitken who came from Esk in Scotland. James Ferguson opened the first licensed premises in Eskdale in 1894. The Eskdale Butter Factory opened in 1904, closing after the merge with Murray Goulburn in 1969. The town also had a timber mill run by the Dunstan family for many years. It currently has a primary school, swimming pool, cafe, IGA supermarket, churches, hotel, post office, a sporting complex, CFA Brigade and MG Traders Outlet with a petrol station. The town also has a Community Hall, Bowling Club and Caravan Park.